South Students Supporting Their Community

The South clubs are preparing for the holidays, whether it be fundraising, holiday events, or donation drives, these clubs are dedicated. Here are some ways your fellow Panthers are supporting others in our community this December. 

Habitat for Humanity is hosting a friendly gingerbread contest on Dec. 9. From 3 p.m. until 5 p.m., in the Large Group Room, everyone involved will take part in a competition of decorating gingerbread houses, while enjoying a holiday film. The money made from the event will be contributed to Habitat for Humanity to fund builds. Habitat for Humanity strives to help Bloomington build affordable housing for families, as they believe affordable housing is a necessity for stable communities. 

Student Council is participating in the well-known Salvation Army Angel Tree program. The Angel Tree program is designed to provide underprivileged children with gifts for the holiday season. Sophomore Maddie Hickman said, “We raise money so we can buy kids, who are less fortunate, Christmas presents.” Members of the Student Council have raised various amounts of money to contribute to the general fund. Student Council then takes a trip to Walmart and buys these gifts for the recipients of the Angel Tree program based on information they have previously received about the children. 

Another club with winter fundraising, PAWS, or Panther Animal Welfare Society, is conducting a donation drive of used towels and blankets to send off to the Bloomington Animal Shelter. You can take your used towels and blankets to the donation box located in the library to help the animals of Bloomington. 

German Club has already completed a fundraiser. They sold traditional German Calendars filled with German chocolate for $5, which funds supported Dance Marathon. 

Dance Marathon also has a separate fundraiser called Hope for the Holidays. Hope for the Holidays involves creating fundraising pages, getting donations from peers, and even putting out crewnecks for sale. Dance Marathon raises money for the children of Riley Hospital for Children.