The Norovirus Reaches Bloomington South

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus that is currently going around Bloomington High School South. It infects about 20 million illnesses annually in the United States. According to Brandy Rayles, the school nurse, there are cases of norovirus at South, but the exact number is unknown. 

Norovirus causes diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain. Other symptoms include high temperature, headache, and aching arms and legs. Norovirus spreads very quickly and outbreaks are very common. It spreads via infected people and through contaminated surfaces and foods. Outbreaks of Norovirus are most common from November to April. Norovirus usually goes away within two days.

Norovirus, also known as the “winter vomiting bug,” can be prevented by often washing hands with soap, rinsing fruits and vegetables vigorously, cooking shellfish thoroughly, staying home for two more days after symptoms stop, and avoiding preparing food for others when sick. One of the most important things to do is to rest and have lots of fluids to avoid dehydration.