Spring Has Sprung: Upcoming Sports Preview

The weather clearing up can only mean one thing for the athletes at South: It’s time for spring sports. As basketball, cheer, dance, and swimming come to a close, it gives room for other sports to take the spotlight. So take a look at the preview for all the upcoming athletic activities at South.

SOFTBALL

First up on deck is softball. They are coming off of a productive off-season with Marin Jacobs and Tiffany Sowder committing to playing in college. With the season right around the corner, they have been busy in the gym preparing. Senior Keely Hubbard is excited about the upcoming season. She said, “I’m looking forward to spending time with my teammates and winning.” 

Hubbard feels that winning won’t be a problem for the team stating, “We will be conference champions for sure, and sectional champs all the way.” The softball team starts their season off at Heritage Hills on March 23.

BASEBALL

Next up is the baseball team. They look to make up for the loss of a couple of impactful seniors who graduated after last season. Alex Schaevitz is excited for the season, but feels the team will have on struggle this season. He said, “I think one struggle we will have is pitching. We’re losing a couple seniors, and Nico (Walters) will be out for the first half.” Nevertheless, Schaevitz doesn’t think that will stop the team from doing well. He said, “I think we have a good chance at winning sectionals, and maybe regionals.” The baseball team kicks off their season at home, March 4th versus Pendleton Heights.

GIRLS AND BOYS TRACK

Spring also means track season, and the runners are ready to go. Lily Myers, who recently committed to Indiana University, has her sights set high for this season. When speaking about the upcoming season Myers said, “I really want to get one medal at state this year.” It’s the same mentality on the boys side. Senior Gabe Arthur says, “We will make it to state.” He also said, “I’ll break my PR in the 200M dash and maybe even try long jump.” Both teams have their next meet at the Hoosier state relays on March 25th

BOYS GOLF

April showers precede the golf season for the boys golf team. Happy Gilmore, who had an eventful offseason, is ready to get out on the course. Last year he was interviewed by ESPN about his golf game, but he has kept a level head and is ready to be with his teammate. Gilmore only has one worry about the season. He said, “The most challenging thing for the team this season will be putting up with Coach Carver because sometimes he gets in a little mood.” Gilmore doesn’t feel that will have too much impact on the team’s success though. He said, “I think the team will make it to state and hopefully have a good run at the title.” The boys golf team takes the course for the first time at the New Albany Invite on April 1st.

GIRLS TENNIS

The girls tennis team is ready to get going despite the fact they have a ton of newcomers. Returning player Brooke Liao said, “I’m looking forward to making connections with the new people on the team, and building the team back up again.” That excitement also comes with challenges. Liao went on to say, “I think one hard thing for the team will be instilling that culture of hard work in the newer members.” This team has a big season in store for them, so come see them in action at home on April 1st, as they face Castle.

UNIFIED TRACK

Last but not least is Unified Track. Senior Robert Dugan is excited for his final season with the team. Dugan said, “I’m looking forward to a better team dynamic and finally having a normal year.” He went on to say, “The only challenge for the team this year is going to be communication.”  But that won’t matter too much to this team because they are bringing back athletes from last year, as well as bringing new faces to help the team. Postseason hopes are high. When asked how the team will do in their postseason run, Dugan said, “At the minimum regionals.” The team starts their season against Indian Creek on April 19th.