Crossley and Black are Named Outstanding Black Leaders of Tomorrow

Sophomore Sydney Crossley and junior D’Andre Black are this year’s winners of The City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Black Males award. This award honors one male and one female African-American high school student each year for their exceptional contributions to the Bloomington community. Nominated by Julia Johnson, South’s graduation coach and counselor, both Crossley and Black were nominated for their outstanding leadership, involvement, and significant contributions to the community.

Crossley, one of the recipients of this award, said she “demonstrates leadership throughout the community by working on the anti-racism policy and speaking out when [she sees] injustice.” She also mentioned she is a part of the Equity Ambassadors group, where they’ve been working on an anti-racism policy in MCCSC schools. Making a difference for future generations is extremely important to Crossley, especially for her younger family members. “I know this work will benefit them as they grow older in MCCSC schools.” Crossley also commented on how others can get involved in her community. “Get people that agree with you and who see the wrong in a situation and speak out to get the word out there.”

Congratulations to this year’s winners!