SAGE Club is Celebrating Earth Day with SAGE Fest

With Earth Day around the corner, the people in SAGE club are ready to celebrate. Today, Friday, April 21, they are hosting SAGE Fest in celebration of Earth Day.  

SAGE Fest is Bloomington South’s annual environmental festival. It will be in the atrium at South from 4-6 p.m. The entry is $5 and there will be live music, baked goods, environmentally relevant speakers, booths by local organizations, and a thrift swap. 

“It’s an environmental festival where we invite a bunch of people from the community who work in environmental organizations or in jobs that have something to do with the environment. They set up booths and share with the people at South what they do.” Senior Ella Goldman said. Senior Emma Shaw added, “The goal of SAGE Fest is to raise awareness and get people involved. That’s why we have organizations and speakers coming in.” 

Goldman spoke on how Earth Day is important and how it should be recognized more often. “We need to educate people on why protecting the Earth is important. A lot of people aren’t aware, so this spreads a lot of awareness to our community.” 

Senior Chloe Borders also said that Earth Day and the celebration of SAGE Fest is a great way to get involved in your community. “It’s super uplifting because it makes everyone feel like they can do something in a positive way to impact the planet.”

Shaw added that students can do other things after Earth Day to support the environment. “Join SAGE and local organizations that help support the environment. Get outside and act sustainably and conscientiously,” she said.