MCCSC Discuss Redrawing School Board Districts

For the first time since the 1980s, MCCSC School Board has begun discussions on the possibility of redrawing the districts for school board races. According to Superintendent Jeff Hauswald, the changes would happen because the current boundaries were drawn three decades ago and have failed to adjust to social and population changes.

“There are currently some school board representative districts that have approximately 5,000 residents and others that have 18,000,” said Hauswald. “If you look at a map of Monroe County or MCCSC in 1990 compared to now, there has been a lot of growth but the growth hasn’t all been proportional by the districts that were created.”

The first course of action would be for the school board to gather input from the public to determine what criteria will be followed for the new map. After the criteria is set, Hauswald said the board will “ask a demographer to create new maps that more closely align with our goals… and the board will have to decide if they want to change the boundaries.”

According to Hauswald, the board hopes this entire process will happen in a very timely manner.

“I think the ultimate goal if they [school board] decide to change them would be to have those available for the 2024 election year,” said Hauswald.