Tune Talk: Future & Friends Tour: One Big Party Experience

After an overwhelmingly successful first bout of shows, Future decided to extend the Future & Friends Tour: One Big Party by adding 11 more shows. Future explained the first round of shows was a life-changing experience for him and connected with his fans on a whole other level, and I felt that same connection. 

The whole experience was surreal, especially for being my first experience at a concert. The surprise guests, the exhilarating energy brought from the crowd, and especially a much-deserved shoutout to DJ Fresh, whose rollicking presence knew how to get the crowd energized. It made for one experience I will never forget.

The concert took place at Gainbridge Fieldhouse, home of the Indiana Pacers. I thought getting into the arena was going to be a hassle, though that couldn’t have been further from the truth. Getting to the doors was no problem, considering there wasn’t a line at the time. Once through the doors, all that was left was to scan our tickets and that took no time either. Immediately I was delighted by not having to wait to get it. 

After some time walking around the arena and adventuring through the first floor, my friends and I ended our exploration at the merch stand, where to my surprise the merchandise wasn’t extremely overpriced, from t-shirts for $25 to hoodies ranging from $35-$100. Though I ended up deciding not buying merch, the memories made would make up for a hoodie to remember it by. 

We made it to our section which was balcony level, and we had section 211 row 20. As some may think that the balcony level is pointless or not worth the travel and visit, that was the absolute least of my concerns and throughout the show, our section seemed to be the most into everything out of every section. The people surrounding my friends and I brought so much energy and enthusiasm, especially during the long delay. 

Before the main acts, artists Dess Dior and Mariah The Scientist opened. Dess Dior came out first performing about 2-3 songs before Mariah The Scientist came out during Dess Dior’s performance, where the two would perform their song “Stone Cold.” Right after that, Mariah The Scientist took over and started her set. Her vocals caught me by surprise. She has an amazing live voice. As her set came to a close, we were waiting for who we thought was going to be G Herbo to come out, but by an absolute surprise, it was Don Toliver!

Don Toliver came out and started things off by performing his part in the song “I Can’t Save You (Interlude).” He continued to give a neverending abundance of energy during his set and to the crowd. His set went on for almost over an hour. Which I was thrilled by, I didn’t expect him to perform for such a length of time. He performed 17 maybe 18 songs from all over his discography, from his features to his hits or favorites.  When Don Toliver’s set came to an end we went into an overlong delay, which is where DJ Fresh stole the show.

DJ Fresh’s crowd work was impeccable. He got what seemed like everyone in the arena to shine their phone lights. He often kept asking if the people there were with their best friend or if it was your best friend’s birthday. As my friends and I got a great laugh about what DJ Fresh was saying and doing, he undoubtedly was energizing everyone. He was playing classic hip/hop-rap songs and classics in general. Everyone in our section and area of the stands knew the words and were singing along, dancing, and giving an insane amount of emotion to the show. The crowd around me wasn’t just like this for DJ Fresh but for every artist’s set. It was unbelievable, it truly was. It’s where I found a connection with everyone, as the vibe from everyone spewed onto me and I was having the time of my life. I never truly understood or felt how a crowd is such a pivotal part of events like this, but this crowd not only showed me, it made me a part of it. An unhinged first-hand experience.

As the prolonged delay came to its end, again as we suspected it was G Herbo coming out, it was Future! The main act came out right then and there on a scooter with a boot on. This led many to conclude the delay was because Future was hurt, though that didn’t stop Future from performing. He played some of the best songs from his latest album and then played the song “Me or Sum.”  Future performed his first part and then out came Nardo Wick by surprise. Nardo Wick took over from there performing his part in that song, and then played his most popular song “Who Want Smoke With Me.” Then G Herbo’s part of that song came on, and out came G Herbo. 

G Herbo’s set exceeded my expectations. I wasn’t very fond of G Herbo nor a big fan, but seeing him live switched that. I may not still be the biggest fan, but I now have a connection with G Herbo.

Then out came Future again. My friends and I had thought Future was done after he performed already, but he wouldn’t let the fans go home without a show.  He played about four more songs, “Stick Talk” and, “Thought It Was a Drought,” most notably. As Future’s second set came to its end, out came Ty Dolla $ign!

Completely by surprise Ty Dolla $ign showed up and showed out. His set was short and simple but got the crowd going. His voice was good live, too. An unexpectedly great guest. 

After Ty Dolla $ign, out came EST Gee. EST Gee’s set went on for longer than it should have. If his set was cut by maybe 3-4 songs it wouldn’t have seemed like a bloated forced set. It felt forced onto us. Did I enjoy it? Sure, but it definitely could have been done better. 

After that for the third and final time, out came Future. Future played many songs for his last set, including “F**k Up Some Commas” and “March Madness.”  I can’t forget “Wait For U.” The way the crowd chimed in was beautiful. It sounded amazing. Nothing I have ever experienced has sounded so coordinated and strong. As Future’s set came to its last and final stop, Future couldn’t leave us there. So what did he do? He brings out Roddy Rich to close the show.

Roddy Rich’s set was short but filled with just the right songs. The songs were “Rockstar,” “4 Da Gang,” “The Box,” and concluding with “Ballin.” It was a great surprise to all seeing Roddy Rich there. I was completely satisfied with Roddy Rich closing the show since he did it well. 

After it was all said and done, the length of the show was roughly a little more than four hours. And what a great time those four hours were. From thinking the main two acts were performing and that was it, purely based on delays, to being blown away by surprise guests and the gravitational vibe from the crowd around me. It was an unforgettable night. I’m beyond delighted I had the opportunity to watch this in person as well with my friends.