Seniors Prepare to Cast Their Vote

Many students in the Class of 2023 are eligible to vote in Bloomington’s upcoming primary election. The election is May 2, and while the registration date has passed, it is important for all students to be educated on the possible candidates. In addition to the mayoral election, residents of Bloomington can also vote on the new city council. More information can be found here

The current mayor John Hamilton will not be running for re-election. Therefore, residents can choose from one of the three primary Democratic candidates, as there are no contending candidates from the Republican party. The term lasts for four years.

Don Griffin

Griffin is a two-time president of the city’s redevelopment commission and places a large focus on solving Bloomington’s housing crisis. He strives for both affordable housing and support for those currently without a home. Griffin states that he wants to “grow homeownership from 38% to 50% in the next five years,” and “accelerate the work [he] did as deputy mayor to map where [they] add housing on underutilized land.”  More info on his platform and mission is available at GriffinForMayor.org.

Kerry Thomson

Thomson served as CEO of Habitat for Humanity of Monroe County for 20 years and now is head of the Center for Rural Engagement at Indiana University. She is endorsed by multiple former mayors such as Mark Kruzan, John Fernandez, and Tomi Allison. She places attainable housing at all levels as a top priority and also argues for improved public transportation which she believes can further connect the whole city. Find out more about Thomson’s plan at KerryForBloomington.com.

Susan Sandberg

Sandberg emphasizes an increasing issue of violent crime in Bloomington. Her administration promises an “increase in staffing” and “competitive compensation” for the police and fire departments. She also plans to focus on making these departments more inclusive to “reflect the diversity of [the] community.” Sandberg also is aware of the need for strong mental and public health services and argues that “people’s struggles with addiction, lack of housing, chronic unemployment, and violent mental health problems can spiral into public safety risks.” All information is available at Susan-Sandberg.com.

Hamilton, as stated by the Indiana Daily Student, is “proud of all the work he and his administration have done and remains hopeful for the future of Bloomington.” Voting is open until noon on May 1.