MCCSC passes referendum

On Tuesday, November 7th, Bloomington voters passed the MCCSC referendum by a minimal margin of 108 votes in favor of the referendum. This election took place in the midst of major local division, especially in regards to MCCSC central administration decisions concerning the now suspended controversial high school schedule change. The referendum raises property taxes, as the district’s end goal is to gain $8.5 million in extra funds. 

Confirmation of the recent referendum will allow three-year-olds within families who meet free/reduced lunch requirements to attend preschool for free. Additionally, MCCSC will offer district-paid student technology, which will allow high school students to utilize computers provided by their schools for free. Beginning in the 2024-25 school year, AP and CTE testing fees will also be eliminated. 

Within his letter to MCCSC staff and families, superintendent Jeff Hauswald stated that, because of the referendum’s approval, district-sponsored field trips “will be provided to students free of charge.” The referendum also extends to “district-paid instructional materials and career and technical education tuition and fees.” MCCSC also conducted and passed a referendum in 2022, which is currently projected to generate $17.5 million.