MCCSC student survey update

Optimist has repeatedly requested survey information, and has not received any

Many within the MCCSC community are asking about the results of a May 2023 student experience survey conducted by IU’s INsite organization. South students were asked to fill out the survey shortly before school ended last May. Here is what the Optimist knows.

During the MCCSC school board meeting on October 24th, superintendent Jeff Hauswald stated that the results of the survey, which included about 40 questions regarding preferred class lengths/times, panther plus’ value, and class availability, would be released sometime in the near future. The survey was completed by approximately 61.5% of MCCSC high school students. Additionally, we reached out to Erin Stalbaum, a member of MCCSC’s Human Resources team, and were referred to Communications Director Alexis Harmon, who advised us to consult an INsite staff member. However, about a month after the board meeting and email requests, no survey results have been announced. 

On November 1st, 2023, we contacted INsite’s director, Molly Stewart, regarding the MCCSC survey results and their disclosure. We tried to follow up on the survey results a few days later and we still have not yet received a response from Stewart.

With no reply from Stewart, we filed a request to an Indiana FOIA administrator on November 6th concerning MCCSC’s inability to provide student survey results. Their administration has not replied to us at this time. 

Hauswald quoted from the survey in his Oct. 20 email to parents, students, and teachers, explaining his decision to change South’s trimester schedule and North’s block schedule to a “hybrid block.” If that survey is key to the schedule decisions, we should all see the results. 

Because of the silence we are receiving about these vital survey results, we continue to ask: where is the data?