Students gain real job experience in cosmetology school

You may have seen some students here at South who start their day wheeling a huge set full of scissors, brushes and a ton of tools, some wear full nursing garments or welders aprons, what do these people do? Few people are aware of the opportunities held at Hoosier Hills, a small trade school located here in Bloomington,  where you can go to learn specific skills you need to leave high school as a successful firefighter, welder, barber and more. The trouble, especially for students at South, is that we know very little about how this learning process works. 

Students are much more self-reliant, often expected to find their own resources and techniques. Cosmetology students, for example, are expected to bring an array of equipment, similar to the tools they’d need when working. These include a Roller Set, color bowls, brushes, book work, and learning packets, along with this, students are expected to wear an all-black uniform, apron, and nametag every day. 

Unlike what many believe, Hoosier Hills is not an all-day experience. Most Hoosier Hills students attend the first two to three periods of the school day at South, until leaving for Hoosier Hills. For cosmetology students, after the second period, they are free to leave until arriving at either Hoosier Hills or Tricoci, the Bloomington School of Beauty, around noon. 

Senior Calder East, a cosmetology student who is working to become a barber, said that the day-to-day schedule “gives [him] tons of breaks, and still lets [him] work throughout the day.” The freedom these students have is one of the best parts of this kind of learning. A workday that’s structured around the job students want to have requires students to devote much less time than one would in a traditional school setting. 

Once cosmetology students arrive at Hoosier Hills or Tricoci they’re expected to clock in, complete paperwork for about an hour, and spend the rest of the time cutting hair and learning techniques. Students believed that the schedule did not impede on any part of their day, for most making it better.

Not only do these students graduate knowing how to work in a specific field, but also earn the certifications that could be achieved at traditional universities or colleges. Senior Chesney Grubb, a cosmetology student looking to become a hairstylist, she ‘look[s] forward to completing [her] license test,” something these students are tasked with completing following graduation. 

Along with this, you begin to build clientele near the end of your learning, so you’re completely ready to begin working as soon as you graduate, this school completely prepares you for the next stage of your life.

Kaelyn Marcum, a senior also taking this course, said that she “recommends this to everyone, if you’re interested it’s definitely worth a shot,” a sentiment both East and Grubb shared.