Friday Music: A Loved Tradition

One of Bloomington South’s most loved traditions is Friday music. Every Friday between passing periods, a song is played over the PA system to pick up the mood and to celebrate the end of the week.

“Years and years ago, just as a celebration of Fridays and all the other activities, we had students, and teachers, and others come up with the idea collectively, and we’ve been doing it ever since,” said Principal Mark Fletcher.

Some Fridays there are themes, others the song choices are picked at random. But how are these themes picked?

The themes are picked sometimes based on certain holidays, the weather, or clubs. For example, during Hispanic Heritage Month, Amigos Club will pick the songs for a Friday.

Typically Fletcher’s secretary, Kelly DeMier, picks the music. Occasionally, students will make requests, as long as people don’t request every week.

For those sparked by the possibility of making a request, the songs must be censored. The lyrics are checked for sexual content and mention of illegal substance use. 

“I listen to the Friday music. It makes me feel good. I think they should do it every day, not just Friday.” said sophomore Anika Pirkola. 

“I think [Friday music] is fun for the kids and leads them to the weekend,” said Security Guard Maria Gonzalez.