Bloomington South junior named an Outstanding Black Leader of Tommorow

Jael Davis holds her award at The City of Bloomington Black History Month Gala Celebration (courtesy Jael Davis)

Bloomington South junior Jael Davis is this year’s high school female recipient of The City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Black Males award. The award is given annually to two African American men and women from the following categories: high school and adult. 

The Commission recognizes the importance of highlighting the contributions made by young African American men and women in our community for their outstanding leadership, scholarship, and involvement in making tangible, visible, and meaningful contributions to the Bloomington community. 

The awards are presented at The City of Bloomington Black History Month Gala Celebration. This year, the gala took place on the evening of Feb. 24 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Davis has been nominated for the award throughout her three-year high school career and expressed her gratitude for finally winning the award. “I was so excited. I was like, ‘Finally! I won the nomination!’”

At the gala, Davis was able to connect with some of her mentors, including local radio show host and realtor, Clarence Boone. Boone hosts Bring It On!, a radio show committed to exploring the people, issues, and events impacting the African American community.

“He gave me a lot of good advice about how to be a leader, and said I was doing a really good job already,” Davis said. 

Davis is a mental health advocate and has conducted shoe and coat drives for individuals who may not have access to those necessities during the colder months. In addition, Davis has also provided over 100 lunch bags to the unhoused community in Bloomington. 

“It means [a lot] that I’m getting noticed for what I’ve contributed to the community. It [also serves as a symbol] of reminding others that it’s okay [to] be young and stick up for what’s right. Students should have a voice because we’re the future. We’re going to make a change,” Davis said. 

Davis is the president of Bloomington South’s Black Culture Club, where she is also a Student Equity Ambassador, committed to increasing inclusivity throughout the district, policy making, and addressing problems in the MCCSC community that may go unnoticed or are overlooked.

Congratulations to Jael Davis!

1
View Comments (1)
$370
$500