South students excited for April 8 eclipse

On Monday, April 8 a predicted amount of 300,000 people will flood the streets of Bloomington, to enthusiastically watch the solar eclipse. The eclipse will last for a total of three hours with the partial eclipse starting at 1:29 p.m., and totality beginning at 2:52, lasting for a total time of 3 minutes 56 seconds. The eclipse will end at 4:15 p.m.

Senior Suoming Zang said, “I believe it will be a really cool experience. Oftentimes, we’re just looking down doing our homework or looking at our phones, but with the solar eclipse, we’ll be looking up. It’s a nice change of things.” Senior Kate Barada traveled to Kentucky for the last eclipse in 2017. She said, “I expected it to be darker than it was but I don’t think we were in a spot of full totality.”

All BHSS students received eclipse glasses in SRT recently. See The Optimist video on eclipse safety, also on our site.

As the event approaches and Indiana plans for the surge of tourists, Indiana police advise residents not to stop to watch the eclipse on the interstate this Monday with people standing on the road. It will be a hazard to drivers already distracted by the eclipse and will be a disaster waiting to happen.

Visitors can expect events sanctioned by IU like Grammy award-nominee Janelle Monae to take the stage for thousands of attendees. As well as Monae, we can also expect to see William Shatner and Mae Jemison. Those wanting to see this event will need to purchase tickets on the IU website (https://am.ticketmaster.com/iustudent/quickbuy?id=MTEz) Something more to expect is a Parks and Rec hosted Solar Eclipse themed trivia with Skip Daley at the Switchyard Park’s Pavillion from 7-9 p.m. on Friday, April 5th. Those looking to join the competition should register soon and confirm a team of no more than 6 people. Registration for those interested will be $30 per team. If you don’t plan on competing but would still be interested in attending you can look forward to The Cabin Restaurant and Lounge being on site and serving food and drinks.

For anyone worried about parking with the large entourage of viewers, the city of Bloomington has provided a sheet detailing a parking lot providing more than 400 spaces available. Those interested in viewing the eclipse at Switchyard Park, the following Monday, can also look forward to many events there that are completely free to attend. Switchyard will host various food trucks, Upland Brewery, Bloomington Brewing Company, Cardinal Spirits, and more. They will also be presenting live music by local artist Moon Buggy and Comfortably Phree. And finally, for any younger attendees, they will provide various crafts, games, and other eclipse-related educational activities.