South bans Netflix for students and teachers

Whether you’re an experienced binge watcher or a not a subscriber, Netflix has had a huge impact on how we stream content. As of Aug. 24 the use of Netflix will be banned for students at South, and on Sept. 2 it will be banned for teachers.

Over the past few years Netflix has become the largest bandwidth user at South. Students and teachers streaming throughout the school day have made this usage more than double that of any other system.

“The impact on our available bandwidth for educational purposes is not yet critical, but is approaching a problematic state,” Tim Pritchett, the Director of eLearning Strategies for MCCSC said.

Problems such as not being able to administer online standardized tests to students and delayed internet access have resulted from Netflix usage at South in the past.

“The intent is not punish teachers and students, but to enhance your network experience,” Nick Hargett, the Digital Learning Coach and Technology Coordinator for BHSS said.

Although this ban is intended to create a more efficient way of using online education, some South students are not happy with the change.

“It would have a really bad impact on me because teachers use [time to watch Netflix] to congratulate students when they do well, what other options do they have?” freshman Nariah Blount said.

Other students feared that this ban is the first of many, and that further bans on streaming will make South an environment that does not support students’ learning techniques.

“When I do my homework it helps me to stream music, [taking that away] will hinder students’ learning abilities,” junior Lucas Byrd said.
Will the ban on Netflix affect your day to day life at school? Leave a comment below or on our social media to join the conversation.