Playwriting contest for Indiana students

The Indiana Repertory Theatre (IRT) is focused on telling stories, and they want to hear yours.

As a professional theatre organization, the IRT seeks to produce quality and engaging live theatre for people at all stages of their lives.

The IRT is hosting a contest titled Young Playwrights in the Process (YPiP). The annual contest started in 2005 and is open to students in grades 6-12. Students are encouraged to write and submit an original play for live theatre that reflects and challenges their world.

All plays submitted to the contest will be read by theatre and writing professionals. Each student, no matter how they place in the contest, will receive feedback on their works.

Semi-Finalists will be selected and given time to review their feedback and attend a writer’s workshop. They will have the opportunity to work one on one with professional playwrights, and hear their plays read aloud.

The submission deadline is Dec. 2. All semi-finalists will receive $100 and tickets to an IRT show. According to the official IRT website  “two finalists (one high school, one junior high) win a workshop of their play, and a full public, professional reading at the Final Event and Reception. Both Finalists will also win $1000 and a full scholarship to the IRT Summer Conservatory”.