Optimist’s Top 15 Albums of the Year

Markus Spiske / www.temporausch.

Although 2016 was a tough year for many, one thing that didn’t disappoint was the year’s music. Check out Optimist’s top albums of 2016 below:

15. Hamilton Mixtape- Various Artists

After Hamilton‘s huge success in 2016, The Hamilton Mixtape, featuring remixed covers of popular Hamilton songs, was just icing on the cake for the groundbreaking new show.

14.  Joanne- Lady Gaga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisOte_-NZE

On her first solo album since 2013, Lady Gaga made an incredible return with Joanne, a masterful album combining genres ranging all the way from country to pop.

13. Blackstar- David Bowie

Blackstar is an emotional, masterpiece that serves as a final testament to Bowie’s battle with cancer.

12. 22, A Million- Bon Iver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTjpzP18m0I

Bon Iver’s fourth album showed a new, experimental side of the band that proved to be a major success.

11. Awaken, My Love!- Childish Gambino

Although criticized by many, Gambino’s Awaken, My Love! shows off less of his rap talents and more of his funky, jazz side

10. This is Acting- Sia

Although Sia herself is masked, her pure talent is not. With summer anthems such as “Cheap Thrills”, Sia stole the show with This is Acting.

9. A Seat at the Table- Solange

With her soulful voice and powerful lyrics, Solange’s A Seat at the Table is a force to be reckoned with.

8. Views- Drake

With songs such as “One Dance” and “Too Good”, Drake topped the charts with some of the year’s most popular jams.

7. Starboy- the Weeknd

After gaining widespread popularity from his last album, the Weeknd returned with Starboy, an album full of upbeat songs that just make you want to dance.

6. 4 Your Eyez Only- J. Cole

Once again, J. Cole didn’t fail to deliver with his iconic lyrics and irresistible beats that are featured on 4 Your Eyez Only.

5. ANTI- Rihanna

With its catchy tracks and emotional lyrics, Rihanna’s Anti represents love, heartbreak, and revenge all in one.

4. Blonde- Frank Ocean

Click on the link to listen to Blonde on Spotify

After taking a long hiatus from music, Frank Ocean returned with an album that was well worth the wait. Blonde is a powerhouse of emotions, featuring songs that can make you want to dance and cry all at the same time.

3. The Life of Pablo- Kanye West

With transcendent songs such as “Ultralight Beam” and “Fade”, The Life of Pablo represents the musical genius that is Kanye West like never before.

2. Lemonade- Beyonce

Beyonce’s groundbreaking Lemonade provides bold lyrics, incredible imagery, and odes to love and forgiveness.  You could say that Lemonade “slayed” 2016.

1.Coloring Book- Chance the Rapper

Coloring Book is a masterpiece filled with inspiring lyrics, upbeat tunes, and encouraging messages. With this uplifting, feel-good album, Chance the Rapper brought happiness and joy into a year that was full of so much sadness and hatred.