Rules aren’t new, but enforcement has changed

Teachers and faculty are cracking down on students when it comes to cell phones, tardies, and photography– at least that’s the myth being propagated by returning South students as the new school year has begun.

In fact, according to Assistant Principal Christina Adduci, the rules are the exact same as they were last year.

“Neither rule has been changed from years past,” Adduci said. “I don’t know why [students] got that impression.”

The rules are simple: phones are prohibited during instructional time, and students not in class by the time the bell rings will be counted tardy.

As for photography, students may not take photographs or recordings of students or teachers without consent.

“As technology evolves and social media evolves, we’ve had instances where people are taking photos of other students or people in the building without permission and posting them,” Adduci said, which may explain the perceived upsurge in disciplinary action regarding photo-taking.

If rules do appear to be stricter, it is likely that teachers are simply enforcing the already established rules a little more right when school starts in order to set a good precedent for the year ahead.

“It’s the beginning of the year. It’s a great time to remind everybody about all of these rules and expectations,” Adduci said.