South Footy takes the Cup

Over the weekend, the girls soccer team went undefeated at the annual Hoosier Cup at Karst Farm Park. The girls won all three games and claimed the Joe Kelley Division 10 title. They fought hard against talented teams and enjoyed a clean sheet over the entire weekend.

In the first game, not only did the Panthers show up, but they showed their teeth, obliterating New Castle 9-0. The next two games were played in the same fashion with a pair of 3-0 wins over South Knox and Evansville Reitz.

“Most of our success this weekend came from discovering how we play together. We were able to acknowledge our disadvantages and play towards or strengths,” said sophomore and defensive center mid Clara Voskuil.

With such impressive wins, Voskuil felt that overall, the weekend was a glaring triumph.“The most challenging part of the weekend was not letting the success get to our heads. Occasionally we would start to get comfortable and give up a little which could really punish us. So we had to work really hard to be consistent with our effort,”  said Voskuil.

Junior Riley Lukens felt that “success came in the tournament with communication, tenacity and [the team’s] passing, which improved game to game with the growing competition.”

Lukens acknowledged that the competition was very high “[the team’s] biggest challenge was with the physicality the teams we played showed, especially with their growing frustration as we continued to score and play well against them.”

Both players agreed that the success the team had this weekend can be continued. “As long as we continue to find more chemistry, I think we can be proud of what we did this weekend and understand that we still have our hardest game ahead of us.”  Voskuil said.