Song Of The Week- September 3rd

Several Optimist staff writers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

September 3rd:

Calvin: My song of the week is “Empire Ants (feat. little dragon)” by Gorillaz, the instrumental at the beginning is very light and frontman 2D’s falsetto notes are almost lifeless and seem like they come from a distant place, My favorite part about the song is the drastic turn it takes about halfway through, and becomes a funky electronic roller coaster spiral. Little Dragon’s vocals sound haunting over this beat, but the contrast works in perfect harmony.

Will: My song of the week is “Seigfried” by Frank Ocean. I’ve been listening to a lot of Frank recently and this song is of my new favorites on Blonde. Though it is easily overlooked due to it’s typical Ocean-esque style, it has the ability to strike something much deeper if listened to closely. Frank’s soft vocals paired with raw lyrics create a strong romantic feeling; one perfect for a late night drive home, or sharing a moment with someone special.

Seth: My song of the week is “Private eyes” by Daryl Hall and John Oates. Although Private Eyes is one of their lesser known songs, I think we can all agree that it’s a particularly jivy tune. In my humble opinion, it’s definitely one of the best.

Ethan: My song of the week is “Do It All” by Ethereal. This is one of my favorite songs on my playlist currently because of the beat the song has. The sample used is very wavy. I’m not sure what instrument it is but it’s mesmerizing. The artist Ethereal is known for his calming songs and I enjoy his music very much.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week:https://open.spotify.com/user/12152871126/playlist/79R1OHHs24ETg8GiS6wGLE