Townie Hotspot

Despite the claims of B-town born and raised teenagers, Bloomington is “blooming” with things to do. From food, to coffee, to outdoor excursions, here are some  hot spots guaranteed to earn you the title of a ”townie”.

Brunching in Bloomington is something to be taken very seriously, especially among the sorority girl population. Village Deli, Bloomington Bagel Company, Runcible Spoon, and Trojan Horse are all great choices when it comes to taking your friends out to brunch, or having breakfast for dinner.

Perhaps the most important part of the Bloomington food scene is the collection of international cuisine options located on Fourth Street. You can travel from Turkey, to Thailand, to Tibet all while staying on one block. Fourth Street favorites include My Thai Cafe, Little Tibet, and Anatolia.

Are you tired of brunch and instead are craving some greasy, heart disease-inducing food? Try Buffa Louie’s for some spicy wings or Mother Bear’s for a wide variety of pizzas.

But where do you go from there? Dessert, obviously. If you are in the mood for ice cream, you will want to stop by Hartzell’s, just off of Bloomington’s iconic Kirkwood Avenue. Hartzell’s is home to classic ice  cream flavors, such as strawberry and chocolate, plus more unique flavors, including potato chip and green tea.

Maybe ice cream isn’t your cup of tea. In that case, pick up a cup of tea (or coffee) at the Pourhouse Cafe or Soma. Both are filled with plenty of secluded corners to study, people watch, or hang out with your friends.

Contrary to popular belief, food is not the only thing Bloomington has to offer. There are a wide variety of interesting outdoor locations to visit, as well. For an interesting perspective on local wildlife, go visit the Hickory Ridge Fire Tower or The Cutouts on Lake Monroe.

If abandoned buildings are more your speed, try visiting the Old Granite Mill by the BUGS facility. Other abandoned hotspots include The Zoom Floom just off the Lake Monroe Causeway, or The Abandoned Water Treatment Plant on the north side of Lake Griffy.

Alternatively, if you are in need of a new artsy Instagram photo, head downtown to wade through Showalter Fountain or take a snapshot of your feet at the IU Art Museum Light Totem.