Conference Champions

The Panthers fall sports teams are doing very well this year with three Conference Indiana titles so far.

Girls Soccer:

The 13th ranked lady Panthers are outright Conference Indiana champions for the first time in 18 years. The Panthers claimed this title Wednesday night with a 3-0 victory over Southport.

With the score 0-0 at halftime, the Panthers entered the second half eager to win. Sophomore forward Gaelle Wells scored the team’s first goal in the 50th minute. Twenty minutes later Wells did not disappoint, scoring again putting the Panthers up 2-0. The final goal of the game was scored by sophomore forward Kristen Ridner with two minutes remaining in the game.

The Panthers, now 13-2-1 and finishing 6-0-1 to take the Conference Indiana title, also won a hard fought game against 9th ranked Columbus North earlier this week.

The final game of the regular season is next Tuesday at Washington.

Cross Country:

Last weekend the Panthers raced at the Lavern Gibson course which is where the state meet will be held at the end of the season. Both the boys’ and girls’ team ran away Conference Indiana champions.

The boys took the title with 38 points, led by a first place finish from junior Ian Shaw with a time of 15:59.0. South had five All-Conference runners, those that finish in the top 12, Ian Shaw, Wil Zinkan, Jacob Wisniewski, Codie Pullon, and Jack Gillard.

The girls’ team came away with the title as well with 49 points. They were led by freshman Aviv Hagar who placed third with a time of 19:30.4. Hagar is also a member of the Panther soccer team. The Panthers were able to place five finishers in the top 17, Aviv Hagar, Toudora Galuska, Maddie McMullen, Katrina Tann, and Josie Lobring.

“I’m really proud of the team and excited about moving into post season,” said senior Toudora Galuska.

Girls Golf:

South golf had a rough conference match but redeemed themselves with a second place sectional finish earlier this week. The team will be participating in regionals this weekend. Senior Carlie Williams said, “I was excited to finish second place in sectionals for the second year in a row.” As for regionals, the team is ready to “enjoy the rest of the season and have fun,” Williams said.