June 6 SAT score error resolved

SAT scores for those who took the June 6 SAT have been released.

The June administration of the test stirred up controversy when a misprint listed the time for the last reading section to be 25 minutes in test booklets, and 20 minutes in the test administrator script. Because some students were taking the math section and others the reading section for the last portion of the test, College Board invalidated scores for both sections.

On June 25, the shortened test was determined to be an accurate representation of student scores. The missing sections  didn’t interfere with the “equating” procedure to make sure all tests are of similar difficulty, nor did the omission of two sections throw off the distribution of tested skills according to College Board’s statement.

Senior Josh Nunes took the June 6 test and was notified of the error via email afterward. “I felt uneasy because I didn’t know if my scores were going to be canceled or not,” he said.

Students around the country had similar worries. Three lawsuits were filed against the College Board, with students requesting refunds and compensation for damages according to the Washington Post.

While Nunes said he could understand why a student might sue given the importance of SAT scores, it isn’t something he would ever consider.

“I can see why they would want to but I would never do that,” he said.

Though College Board is standing by the reliability of June 6 scores, and have confirmed that college admissions representatives do too, all students who took the test have the option of taking the October SAT for free.

“They handled it well in the end,” Nunes said.