District of Cubs

Seth Thomas, Staff Writer

A Chicago Tribune in the Fall of 2012 would report the most recent happenings in President Barack Obama’s administration and would also report to a disconsolate reader that the Cubs finished the season with 101 losses (.377 winning percentage), 36 games back of the Reds in the National League Central Division.

A 2017 Bloomington South Optimist article is happy to inform you that, although much has changed in the political realm, equally as much has changed on the North Side of Chicago.

After 108 years of anxious shawshanking, The Chicago Cubs have their World Series rings, and a chance to repeat as champions. With a win against the Cardinals last Wednesday, the Cubs clinched the Central, meaning they will go on to play the Washington Nationals in the National League Division Series. The Cubs have owned the Nationals  since the relocated and re branded in 2005 (formerly the Montreal Expos) with a 53-21 record against them. Needless to say, this series looks very promising for the Cubs.

South junior and avid Cubs fan Ben Doroke is hopeful going into the playoffs: “I love the decision to have Hendricks start game one showing that he is their guy that they trust to potentially start two games against one of the game’s best in Scherzer. The bats look great and injuries don’t look like a huge factor going into the playoffs. At its core this team is the same as last year and potentially is stronger.”

When asked to state his prediction for the playoffs, Doroke said what any humble and superstitious Cubs fan would: “Do I think they will repeat? I honestly have no clue. The structure of the MLB postseason is more wildly unpredictable than any other sport that uses a series system.”

However, all this being said,  the Nationals pitching staff is no slouch. In case you were wondering, here are each players stats against National’s pitching this year:

Albert Almora Jr.- 2 for 9

Javier Baez- 6 for 24, 1 HR

Kris Bryant- 6 for 21, 1 HR

Wilson Contreras- 9 for 24, 5 HR

Tommy La Stella- 3 for 7

Anthony Rizzo- 6 for 27, 1 HR

Ben Zobrist- 1 for 6

Addison Russell- 0 for 5

Kyle Schwarber- 2 for 7, 1 HR

Jason Heyward- 4 for 12

Ian Happ- 4 for 23

Jon Jay- 4 for 23

Alex Avila- 1 for 4

Now, print out this list and cram it down your throat; this is the postseason and anything can happen. Legends are born in October. Go Cubs!  

1 Comment

One Response to “District of Cubs”

1. Theodore Gilcrest on October 12th, 2017 10:38 am

This is better than any Sports Illustrated article I’ve read this year.

[Reply]

District of Cubs