Fashion Club is “clothes” minded

South’s Fashion Club has had a long history of doing philanthropic work, but it has generally flown under the radar when it comes to club notability. Current President and senior Madison McMullen hopes that this year, that will change.

McMullen, who served as Treasurer last year, feels that more structure could be the key to gaining traction. “I think we had trouble with consistency and certain responsibilities last year. If we implement more structure as a club this year we can hopefully gain momentum,” McMullen said.

In recent years, the Fashion Club has held events such as Work it for Riley, a prom dress donation event, and Holiday Clothes drive for coats, hats and other winter items. McMullen assures these programs will be continued in some form or another, but this year, the Fashion Club has set their sights bigger than just Bloomington, Indiana.

Little Dresses for Africa, an organization started in 2008, donates dresses made out of pillow cases to young girls in Africa and other places in need. McMullen stumbled across this effort and knew that Fashion Club needed to be a part of it. “I wanted to do something that would get Fashion Club involved with the bigger picture. [Little Dresses for Africa] gives us a chance to involve our members with helping the world, not just our town,” McMullen said.

“I’m looking forward to a fantabulous year filled with joy and giving back to the community,” club sponsor Leigh Ann Walls said.  

For those who want to get involved with the Fashion Club, can show up to one of their meetings, follow them on social media, and donate during clothes drives!