Girls wrestling conundrum

You may have heard recently on the announcements that there is a call-out meeting for female wrestlers. You probably didn’t think anything of it, but it’s a somewhat controversial topic.

Optimist talked to health teacher Larry Williams about sports equality. There has to be an even number of sports teams for both males and females. Girls are allowed to wrestle with the rest of the predominately-male wrestling team. The problem? The girls want a separate team. In order for this to happen, a few things have to work out.

First, another all-girls team would have to be dropped. The options would be volleyball or gymnastics. Due to the popularity of volleyball, it would likely be gymnastics. While unlikely, it isn’t totally out of the picture. The next thing that would have to happen, is there would have to be enough girls to actually have the team. Even if all of this were made possible, the number of nearby girls teams is very scarce.

Cierra Broukal, a junior who is in support of an all-girls wrestling team, said that she has always had a passion for wrestling and wants to make girls teams a norm. It is unlikely that an all-girls wrestling team will be formed this year, but if enough girls get into the growing sport, it is a possibility for the future.