Feeling SAD?

As we move into winter and the days get shorter and colder, many students will develop some form of seasonal affective disorder, or SAD. Symptoms of SAD include feeling depressed, losing interest in activities you enjoy, and experiencing changes in appetite, sleeping patterns, and energy levels. Here are some tips for enjoying the holiday season without the “winter blues”.

Get a SAD lamp. Not experiencing enough natural sunlight can cause a chemical imbalance that can throw off a person’s circadian rhythm. A SAD lamp uses heliotherapy (light therapy) that helps you to sleep better and more regularly and balance your mood.

Take a vitamin D supplement. Simply put, vitamin D jumpstarts the brain’s ability to produce serotonin, a chemical that affects mood.

Up your exercise regime and eat a more balanced diet. Being active and eating right is important year round, but it is especially vital during the winter, when it can give you a sense of purpose and accomplishment which will counteract the mental symptoms of SAD.

Talk to a professional. If you feel that you would benefit from seeing a school counselor or therapist, visit the counseling office and ask for resources.