Optimist tries fall desserts

Fall evokes the leaves changing, the weather getting colder, and–of course–the baking of delicious desserts. Sometimes creating these sweet treats is easier said than done and takes hours of baking for a less than savory outcome. Several seasonal recipes have been baked and tested by your favorite student journalists/food experts to ensure that you don’t waste your time with any sub-par, imitation pumpkin buffoonery this autumn season.

First up for testing were Pumpkin Spice Cut-Out Cookies. Pumpkin spice has quickly become a coveted seasonal flavor, showing up in everything from lattes to dog treats. Staff writer Jen Crystal said that the cookies were “very festive and fall appropriate.” The recipe was slightly labor intensive, but the cookies turned out very well and were a huge hit among the Optimist staff.

Next up for testing was the Cranberry Apple Cider. It’s a very simple recipe and will make your home smell amazing. While most cider is served warm, this cider could also be served cold or at room temperature (like how the Optimist staff drank it). “It tasted like I was drinking apple pie,” editor Mallorey Daunhauer said. Overall, Optimist members enjoyed it very much and felt that it was a fun, fruity take on a classic autumn treat.

The final dessert tried by the Optimist staff was a Chai Spice Caramel Apple Pie. The recipe was very time consuming, but the payoff was worth it. “This pie is like a warm hug that you need on a cold November day,” photographer Taylor Harmon said. Even though it was served cold due to fear of igniting paper plates in the microwave, the pie certainly warmed the Optimist staff’s hearts.

We hope that you try out these fall recipes in celebration of the season!