Jazz Festival at BHSS

If you happen to pass by South this weekend, you may hear the roaring of saxophones, trumpets, and drums jamming out to some swinging jazz tunes. This weekend — Friday from 3:50 to 10:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., South will be hosting the annual Jazz Festival for jazz students around the state.

The festival moves between Bloomington North and South high schools each year and is a non-competitive event. Each ensemble performing will play a set, with a “hands on” clinic following afterwards. This clinic will include instruction from professional musicians and music educators in attendance.

“This is valuable not only to the students but to the directors as well. Most festivals do not offer this opportunity,” band director Robert Dubinski said.

It will be freshman trumpet player Alivia Arnold’s first time attending the festival. “I am looking forward to being on stage with my band members,” Arnold said, “ not only performing my best but having fun and making it memorable”.

“The Ryan Cohan Quartet” will be the featured guest artist for the year and their performance will take place on Saturday. Each performance will be free of charge and anyone interested is encouraged to attend.