Song of the week – December 7th

Several Optimist staff writers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

December 7th:

Calvin- My song of the week is “Deadbeat Summer” by Neon Indian. I really enjoy this song because of its repetitive, catchy chorus and the synth-driven rhythm. It’s a great song to listen to, even when the weather is far from anything even remotely close to summer.

Will- My song of the week this week is “THat Part” by Schoolboy Q. The recent Spotify 2017 wrap up landed this gem back in my library. I had forgotten how good the song was. Every verse on the song goes hard and provides its own unique flavor. Kanye West’s verse is incredible and makes the song so much better. The song bumps hard and was one of the most enjoyable songs to see during West’s tour last year.

Seth- My song of the week is “Sweet Lorraine” by Nat King Cole. The sweet jazz piano and King Cole’s smooth vocals make for an extremely solid song. I really like Nat King Cole and all the music he made, and this song is the pinnacle of his excellence.

Ethan-  My song of the week is “Impossible” by Travis Scott. This track is undoubtedly the best of Travis’ debut album “Rodeo”. The beat is very chill and gives off a drowsy and empty feeling. The chorus is super catchy and simple, and, while both of Travis’ verses are short, they still manage to go hard. The sample used in the beat is also incredible. Overall, this track is definitely in my top five favorite songs Travis Scott has produced.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week: https://open.spotify.com/user/12152871126/playlist/79R1OHHs24ETg8GiS6wGLE

Or

Check out our Apple music playlist with every song from each week:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/optimist-song-of-the-week/idpl.u-WabZZdRi2jepE