Boys basketball dominates at BHSS Classic

South’s boys basketball team is heading into the holidays on a high note. The Panthers dominated the inaugural BHSS Classic, going undefeated over the weekend.

South’s first matchup came on Friday night against Lowell, a school from northwest Indiana. Lowell (4-7) struggled to score from the start and finished a horrendous 10 of 39 from the field. For South, it was a different story. The Red Devils’ man-to-man defense failed to prevent South from knocking down shots. Senior Chance Coyle, along with sophomore Anthony Leal, helped put the game away early. 64-31, South.

The Panthers were back in action the following day, starting with a noon game against Marquette Catholic (2-7). South started off hot, leading 18-4 after one quarter. While the Blazers kept things close, ultimately they couldn’t overcome their early woes. Leading the Panthers in this one were Chance Coyle, Anthony Leal, and Noah Jager, each scoring double digit points. 63-43, South.

The de facto championship game of the BHSS Classic had the Panthers pitted against Evansville Harrison, who had also routed Lowell and Marquette Catholic. Evansville Harrison (7-2) featured 6-foot-5 point guard Robin Duncan, destined for the University of Vermont. Duncan teamed up with senior forward Rilee Epley to push the Warriors into halftime up 26-25. However, as many teams have realized this season, never count out the duo of Coyle and Leal. Coyle was consistent throughout, but Leal’s second half sharpshooting was what lifted the Panthers to victory. 60-45, South.

South (9-1) won’t have too long to savor their wins, as they’ll take on Floyd Central, Oak Hill and New Castle at the prestigious Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame Classic on Dec. 30 and 31.