South gymnasts battle butterflies and beams in opening loss to North

The South gymnastics team took on first-meet nerves and a familiar foe on Monday night.

A team comprised of entirely freshmen (excluding junior and first-year member Erica Huntington), the gymnasts found themselves participating in their season-opening high school meet against a battle-tested and upperclassmen-filled Bloomington North roster.

Some of the Panthers were able to overcome the first-meet jitters, like freshman Delany Blubaugh, who claimed the top spot in the vaulting event. Freshman Hailey Landis also showed promise, taking second in bars, floor, and all around, and third in vault.

Ultimately, the Cougars’ experience shined brighter than the Panther’s’ ambition, allowing North to just barely scrape by with the win, 95.4-93.7.

This Panther squad is full of new faces but may be able to make a real impact once it becomes acclimated to the high school schedule. Although the girls lack senior leadership, second-year Coach Michelle Stroud feels that a clean slate and a young, talented core can help the team to find success.

The Panther gymnastics team will tumble back on the mat at home against Noblesville on Jan. 15.