MLK Jr. day activities

Martin Luther King Jr. Day is approaching; this year, the national holiday falls on Jan. 15. Although school will not be in session, many people say that the break should be a “day on, not a day off.” In that vein, there will be many different service opportunities around the community on Monday. Not sure how to spend your day helping out in the community and progressing the legacy of Dr. King? Here is a list of various (fun) options to make the most of your day on.

MLK Teach-In: Activate your Activism

The IU School of Education will be hosting an event for high school students, exploring current social issues and how they relate to Dr. King’s legacy. Those who attend will “participate in thoughtful dialogue” and write letters advocating for a cause of their choosing.

MLK Day Poverty Simulation with SCCAP

The South Central Community Action Program is holding a poverty simulation for anyone in the community. In this activity, participants will assume the identity of a real person living below the poverty line in order to understand what many people in the community go through every day. The goal of the simulation is to “promote poverty awareness, increase understanding, and inspire local change.”

Note: participants for this free activity need to register by Jan. 12.

MLK Volunteer Day at Opportunity House

Bloomington’s Opportunity (or Op) House is a volunteer-run resale store which helps people struggling with poverty in the community have access to clothing. Volunteers in this activity will help out at the store with a “large variety of tasks.”

MLK Day at the Library

Diversity club will be volunteering at the Monroe County Public Library from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Monday. They will be helping children with crafts.

MLK Day Write-In

Members of South’s Young Democrats club will be attending a seminar for contacting elected officials to voice their opinions. The session will be held at IU’s Global and International Studies Building and is sponsored by the LGBTQ+ Culture Center.