Snow Days Update

You hear the roaring sound of your 6:30 alarm. Angrily, you turn off the alarm and head for social media. Then you notice dozens of notifications! Group chats, Twitter notifications, and text messages flood your phone. School is closed. Joyfully, you head back to sleep for a day of binge-watching Netflix. Although snow days may seem awesome now, you might start to dislike them come May.

Since Indiana usually experiences snow or ice in the winter, the Monroe County Community School Corporation adds built in snow days during the year. These can be great or annoying depending on how the weather plays out. If there are multiple snow days, like there have been this year, the make-up days are good because it gives students more days during summer break. However, if Bloomington has a mild winter, students are getting days off in the middle of winter that could be added to summer break.

“I would prefer that summer come quicker, rather than having more snow days,” sophomore Zander Rich said.  

So far this year, MCCSC schools only need to make up one school day because of the built-in snow day on Feb. 19. That means that there is an extra day added on, and school will end later in May. This isn’t really a big deal for schools except Bloomington South. South runs a trimester schedule which means students are losing class time in their second trimester classes, and will have extra days in their third trimester classes. This puts pressure on second trimester teachers to have to teach faster and make sure students learn everything needed for the final exams.  

“I would prefer to have the extra day added on to the second trimester so I’m not losing time with my second trimester students,” said physics teacher Luke Sheehan.

South could add another day or two to the second trimester, which makes sense for students and teachers, but also has a downside. Students would have to take their final exams on a Monday and Tuesday, and start the new trimester on a Wednesday. If the school were to keep the snow days how they are, third trimester would be very long, considering it is already several days longer than second trimester.

More snow days also means seniors will also have to wait a couple more days to graduate. MCCSC should make a decision soon on what to do with the snow days.