Boys basketball breaks record for regular season wins

Calvin Prenkert
South coach JR Holmes looks on at the student section during a home game this year. Holmes, in his 35th year at South, led his team to break the record for regular season wins.

The boys basketball team recently won their 23rd game of the season, breaking the record for most wins in a regular season by a Bloomington high school. The previous record was 21 wins.

Coach J.R. Holmes, in his 35th year at South, explained that “we had the opportunity this year because we got extra games by winning the hall of fame, and our tournament… the record is a little bit skewed because we had extra games.” Nonetheless, the Panthers have achieved an impressive feat this season.

“At the beginning of the season, most people didn’t think that we would be where we’re at right now, at 24-2,” Holmes said.

Additionally, the Panthers have “shot the ball really well.” However, in the rare occasions the boys haven’t been making baskets, their defense has kept them in the game.

“It’s been a combination of offensive and defensive efficiency that has worked for us, and also a continuation of expecting to win and tradition,” Holmes said.

When asked about the Panthers’ expectations and goals heading into the 2017-18 IHSAA Class 4A Boys Basketball State Tournament, the coach explained that “moving on drives you to the next game, and the margin of error is less and you can’t have any slip-ups.” Additionally, Holmes believes that a lot of people “forget that the other team is practicing, and have a plan to beat us…we have to do our best and see where it falls.”

The Panthers look to advance to the next round on Friday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m. against East Central.