BHSS vs Martinsville preview

Mallorey Daunhauer

Bloomington South Panthers 0-1 vs Martinsville Artesians 1-0

When: Friday, August 24, 7 p.m.

Where: Martinsville High School

Last Meeting: (W) 56-21

Ah, yes, it’s that time of year when the football team boards the bus for a 2 hour excursion 20 miles down the road. Thanks I-69.

The South-Martinsville rivalry has been going on for years and dates back to 1970 when the Panthers defeated Martinsville 84-0. Coach Moriarity has been stellar against his alma mater, losing very seldomly in his long tenure at Bloomington South.

For the offense, South can only do better than they did last week. Senior quarterback Trent Richardson will have a better shot at hitting his receivers without a monsoon occuring. Junior running back Maveric Thiery appears to be the backbone of this offense rushing for 88 yards on 12 carries in the season opener against Brownsburg. For the Artesians, star senior running back Brandon Dodson is no longer a member of the team, making life a lot easier for the Panther defense. However, senior Isaac Osbourne has proven that he can take control of the backfield.

South’s defense did have a rough going last week; however, Martinsville doesn’t have a Bryce Kirtz caliber weapon. The Panthers experienced defensive line will need to be on their A-game as they face a very run-heavy Martinsville offense. Keep an eye on senior defensive end Avery Thompson to have a big game stopping the run. For the Artesians, senior WR/DB Seth Galyan could be a problem for receivers due to his athleticism and speed.

In a year with potentially one of the hardest schedules in South history, it’s important to capitalize on easier opponents such as Martinsville. This is a very winnable game for Coach Mo and Bloomington South as they try to achieve their first win on the season.

OSports Prediction: BHSS-21 MHS-14