Rain garden at South

According to Shane Gibson, environment and education director of Sycamore Land Trust, over 20,000 animals have been saved through the usage of Rain Gardens.

Water run-off can very easily lead to major issues, such as flooding, especially in towns like Bloomington. But science teacher Amanda Figolah, along with many of her AP Environmental Science (APES) students, help combat this issue by creating South’s very own Rain Garden.

The Rain Garden is a way to help combat rain run-off from the school’s parking lots. Figolah and her students regularly go to the garden to pull weeds, plant new plants, and learn new things about invasive species during Panther Plus and class.

The garden was created about two years ago when the area by the soccer field was too soaked for faculty to mow the grass. In the beginning, was simply 300 potted plants put into the ground.

When students go out to the gardens, they have many responsibilities. These responsibilities include trekking up hills with handfuls of 6 foot weeds, trimming seed heads, and adding new types of plants to the garden.

Yet, the gardens are more than the actual lessons themselves. “The gardens also serve as a legacy garden. It leaves an outdoor classroom for students to enjoy,” Figolah said.

This season is the third growing season since the creation of the gardens. The garden has grown to become not only a outdoor classroom for students, but also a South legacy that will hopefully last for years to come.