Elizabeth von Buchler passed away at the age of 48

Elizabeth von Buchler, an English teacher and club leader at South, died on Wednesday, May 8th, 2024 at the age of 48. She graduated from Indiana University and studied in England before going into teaching. She worked at South for 20 years as an English teacher; she also ran the Academic Super Bowl Club. She was widely loved by the faculty she interacted with, the students she taught, and the members of the clubs she ran and supported. Throughout her career she worked to promote literacy and keep libraries open. 

In the words of her friend and fellow teacher Anya Steele she was, “A great friend” and “dependable, honest, loyal, and trustworthy, somebody I could always count on.” Kristin Wintin, another friend and fellow teacher who was mentored by von Buchler, when she started teaching described her as, “A beautiful person who cared so much for others and always made her students and definitely always me feel cared for.” Wintin also said that, “she was always doing little things to make people feel loved and cared for.” Freshman Breanna Lents, a student of von Buchler, described her as “a giver” and “kind.”

Funeral services were held Thursday, May 16 at First United Methodist Church. A scholarship in von Buchler’s name is being organized by the Foundation of Monroe County Schools.