• September 11Fall Break Oct. 8 and 9

• September 11Finals moved to Nov. 1 and 2

• August 14Sounds of South presents Guys and Dolls, starting in Oct.

North vs South fall sports preview

Jackson Moore, Staff Writer

The biggest week of the fall season is here for Panther teams. North vs South week is in full swing and the Panthers are looking for a seasonal sweep over the Cougars. South started off strong by outworking the Cougars to a 32-20 victory in football last Friday. Other fall teams such as volleyball, tennis, girls soccer and boys soccer are looking to carry on this momentum. Here is an in depth look at where your Panther squads stack up against our Northside rivals.

Volleyball: The volleyball team will square up at the net tonight with the Cougars. Our girls are coming off a victory against Terre Haute South and are looking to continue on a perfect conference record. Bloomington North stands in their way  coming into this game off a win at Eastern Greene and looking to improve on a slow start to the season. As South leads Conference Indiana (3-0), they can’t afford to give up a game here to their rivals. Come watch the Panthers TONIGHT in BHSN’s main gym at 7:15 p.m.

Tennis: During last week’s series of storms, the boys tennis match was suspended mid-match and postponed to this Wednesday. The current score of the five varsity matches was 1-1 with both South and North securing a point. South’s one singles player junior Daniel Borhi made quick work of North senior Sam Orbaugh 6-2, 6-0. Adversely, North’s one doubles team of juniors Arpan Bose and Max Graf topped South’s doubles tandem of senior Holt Henke and sophomore Ethan Ulhs 6-3, 6-3. Three varsity matches remain in play, with sophomore Marcell Borhi ahead of North senior Ethan Rhea 6-4, 4-5 at two singles, senior Dexter Wu-Corts looking to force a third set at three singles with 4-6, 5-1 and a tightly contested match with South senior Calvin Prenkert and junior Andy Chang up in the third set against North senior Christian Gettelfinger and sophomore Jeff Richards, 3-6, 6-2, 3-1. While South looks poised to take home their first win against North in five years, expect North to put up strong opposition Wednesday night.

Girls Soccer: The girls soccer team will fight alongside our tennis team on Wednesday night at Bloomington North. The Panthers were riding a four game win streak into this match up until a tie against Franklin Community on Monday night. They are also ranked 16th in the state according to the Indiana State Coaches Association. Although the North team holds a 5-5 record, they have won four of their last six games. The Cougars seem to be hitting their stride just in time for this rivalry matchup, but the Panthers looked poised for a victory.

Boys Soccer: The boys team has had a relatively uneventful season thus far, as they have been sidelined due to rain multiple times. South will bring an even 3-3 record into this game, but they are coming off a stellar 11-0 win against Terre Haute South last Thursday. The Cougars have started off with a 3-4-3 record but have tied or won in their last three games. North’s boys definitely have the advantage as they have been able to compete four more times, but South has won the past five years.

The battle between South and North is interesting because it is more a fight of friends than enemies. Most athletes from these schools have competed against each other in sports for their whole lives. It is a big week for both athletic programs; South has had success in the past and looks poised to continue with victories in these four sports.