Optimize: week of Nov. 12

Welcome to Optimize, a weekly update to keep you informed on what has happened during the week. Here are five national/international stories (and one local one) that you should know:

Camp Fire rages on

The total number of people missing due to California’s wildfire has risen to more than 600 people with 66 deaths. Camp Fire and Woolsey Fire have burned through a combined 240,362 acres and are still raging through the state. Many families have lost homes and much more as some Californians continue to evacuate.

Opinions clash on Brexit

Britain plans to leave the European Union in March 2019 in a plan called Brexit. One of the chief and loudest supporters of Brexit rejected the prime minister’s plans shortly following her announcement of it. He did so in letter format. Since the announcement of Brexit, nearly half of Whitehall’s staff has resigned.

New Amazon headquarters

The world’s largest online retailer, Amazon, recently decided build a 4-8 million square foot second headquarters in Queens, New York. However, the decision to build in Queens could end in catastrophe for Amazon because the area is projected to receive significant coastal flooding by 2020, and extreme projections of sea level rising by 2050.

CNN sued Trump admin

Following a heated exchange between CNN correspondent Jim Acosta and White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, President Trump announced that he was revoking Acosta’s press pass. It was later revealed that the White House had doctored video to paint Acosta in a worse light. Friday, a federal judge sided with CNN in their lawsuit to reinstate Acosta’s security pass. The ruling has been celebrated as a victory for the White House press corps, which President Trump has repeatedly battled with since taking office.

Stan Lee passed away

Stan Lee, the famous comic book writer passed away this Monday at the age of 95. He was world-renowned for his famous comic book superheroes Captain America, Iron Man, Spiderman, and many more, and also his various cameos in Marvel films throughout the years. He is remembered by many as a legend, someone who truly changed the world, and his loss will be surely missed by.

Also check out: The Optimist’s article on Stan Lee

Local Bonus: Bloomington seeks art installation for new Switchyard Park

The Bloomington Art’s Commission is seeking an artist, or team of artists, to design and create a large art installation for the new Switchyard Park . With a budget of $80,000-$100,000, the park itself is 65 acres and worth about $34 million.