Song of the Week: December 10

Four staff writers have decided to come together and pick their favorite songs each week based on recent releases, personal feelings, and general overall enjoyment.

Week of Dec. 10:  

This week’s theme: Bops

Calvin Prenkert- My Song of the week is “You Send Me” by Sam Cooke. This song is a classic with a doo wop feel and smooth vocals and sweet guitar licks. The Bass guitar walks up and down the scale and the background vocals perfectly support Cooke’s croons. This song will always keep your head bobbing and to tapping in any situation.

Jackson Moore- My song of the week is “Reel it in” by Amine. This song just overall screams bop as it is hard to not dance to it or at least bob your head. The chorus has a very interesting beat with a flute like instrument in the background to set it all off. This song is different as the chorus goes hard, but the verses go a little slower/softer. It is a change of pace to most other rap music and offers a danceable rhythm.

Tommy McEvilly- My song of the week is “1985” by Bowling for Soup. Anytime I hear the opening “woo hoo hoo”, my hype level increases exponentially. As a very well-known song with a heavy pop/rock feel, it’s impossible to not want to start bouncing around, especially when the South teacher band, Rough Draft, gets this song going.  

Noah Moore- This week, my song is “Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra. Honestly, it’s not really about much. The song attempts to capture the feeling of a clear blue sky after rain, and what follows is five minutes of pure pop chaos. This song is happiness condensed in audio form, and its energy is palpable and contagious.

Check out our Spotify playlist with every song from each week:

https://open.spotify.com/user/loriuliana/playlist/1rcFpovgYaoDzsDBejQGBw?si=CmKNgzWeQRyo99eo7vj-8g