South Speaks: Golden Globes host stirs up controversy

“Oppenheimer is based on a 721-page Pulitzer Prize-winning book about the Manhattan Project, and Barbie is [based] on a plastic doll with big boobies!”

This is just one of the many remarks that comedian Jo Koy made while hosting the 81st annual Golden Globes ceremony on Jan. 7. The Golden Globes are one of the most prestigious awards given in Hollywood, honoring actors’ excellence in American and international film and television, so it makes sense that many of Koy’s comments during the event have gotten a lot of attention this week. 

However, less than five minutes into Koy’s opening monologue, controversy began. Koy continued his commentary about the 2023 hit film, stating, “The key moment in Barbie is when she goes from perfect beauty to bad breath, cellulite, and flat feet. Ah, well as casting directors call ‘character actor.’”

These remarks left many Hollowood stars less than impressed, including Barbie star Ryan Gosling, Selena Gomez, Emma Stone, Ayo Edebiri, and Helen Mirren all seen having visible reactions.

Koy continued, making a discernible statement about pop sensation Taylor Swift and Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce’s budding relationship.

“As you know, we came on after a football doubleheader. The big difference between the Golden Globes and the NFL? On the Golden Globes, we have fewer camera shots of Taylor Swift.”

When the camera panned to Swift for her reaction to the punchline, viewers and Koy were met with an expressionless Swift, looking anything but amused. She quickly pursed her lips and took a sip of her champagne. 

As you can probably imagine, his comments were a big topic of conversation on social media. Some individuals came to Koy’s defense, stating that his jokes were, “completely harmless,” and “the world needs to ‘lighten up’ and let comedians ‘do their thing.’” Others thought Koy’s jokes were “disgusting,” “unfunny,” and perpetuating the notion that women should be looked down upon and objectified based on the way they look, rather than their accomplishments.

The following South students were asked about their thoughts on the controversial comments made by the host.

Senior Alaina Stillions said, “[Jo Koy] is an idiot. Nobody even knew who he was before [The Golden Globes]. He just made himself look really stupid. His career is probably going to take a *little* decline.”

Sophomore Alexa Aparicio also thought the jokes were low, stating, “It’s very clear that he really had no idea what he was doing. The Barbie movie was literally based on men who were ignorant and thought Barbie was just a doll, but also with his constant unfunny jokes… once he was approached with the idea that ‘Hey, maybe you’re just not funny and your Golden Globes monologue wasn’t good,’ he tried to blame it on the writers when he should have taken accountability since he’s been a comedian for a long time now.”

Aparicio is referencing multiple comments Koy added throughout the night as to why his jokes didn’t get laughs or why the audience didn’t receive them well. 

Koy said, “Yo, I got the gig 10 days ago. You want a perfect monologue? Shut up. You’re kidding me, right? Slow down, I wrote some of these, and they’re the ones you’re laughing at.”

Senior Izaak Green said, “I just thought it was really unnecessary. I know that a lot of comedians that host [award shows] target people or movies, but I feel that [Koy’s jokes] were just avoidable. The comment about [Barbie], a movie that was arguing for seeing women not in a bad light and seeing how they are oppressed in so many ways, you didn’t have to make a comment about that.”

Social studies teacher Anya Steele has a different view on the controversy. 

“There’s over thirty wars going on. I think it’s just a distraction from really what’s happening,” Steele said.

Special education paraeducator Eric Bodnar shared, “I’m surprised that so many people take the Barbie movie so seriously. I haven’t seen the movie, but if I see it and change my opinion, I will let others know. For now, I think a silly joke here and there is not the end of the world.”

Junior Owen Miller “[doesn’t] really have an opinion,” but felt the uncomfortable energy of the celebrities in attendance from watching clips on social media. However, Miller was able to find some humor in the happenings. 

“I thought the camera angle [showing Swift after the NFL joke] was funny.”

Following the event, Koy appeared on GMA3: What You Need to Know, apologizing for his ‘off night.’

“I’m not going to lie. I’d be lying if [I said] it doesn’t hurt. I hit a moment there where I was like, ‘Ah.’ Hosting is just a tough gig. Yes, I’m a stand-up comic but that hosting position, it’s a different style. I kind of went in and did the writer’s thing. We had 10 days to write this monologue. It was a crash course. I feel bad, but I got to still say I loved what I did.”