Say NO to the dress. Prom probably won’t happen.

It’s the end of March and the usual prom-posals are nowhere to be found. COVID has put a damper on the spring dance, which is especially bad because some girls have already bought dresses.

Between social distancing, mask mandates, and building capacity, prom is probably not feasible. If there were to be one, it would likely be outdoors, but because it is a school event, masks would still have to be worn and distance would still have to be maintained, according to South Assistant Principal Joe Doyle. On April 6, the Monroe County Health Department rejected MCCSC’s plans for prom this year. Monroe County COVID protocols make clear that a prom is just not in the cards for 2021, but some are still holding out hope for next year.

Junior Rieken Isom said she was bummed about the likely cancellation of prom, but “with COVID being where it is, I want to make sure everyone is safe.” She had already bought a dress and really wanted the dance to take place, but she made clear that “if no prom is going to be what keeps everybody safe, then that’s what I think we should do.”

Doyle and prom sponsor Beth Smith agree that prom probably won’t happen. Additionally, junior Boone Law, President of Junior Advisory Board and the student in charge of prom, said he “doesn’t think prom will happen” and that he’s “very disappointed because there’s been a lot of work put in [to make it happen].” That work was done last year, but won’t carry over to this year. 

According to Law, the Junior Advisory Board has not had any meetings this year, which means that no planning has gone into potential festivities. The process of planning prom begins in January and doesn’t end until the afternoon after the dance in which volunteers clean up the atrium.