Weed Wrangle, an easy way to help the environment

There has been a growing feeling of hopelessness among the young generation, especially in relation to the environment. In order to stave off this feeling of despair, students at South are getting involved in local efforts to keep our city clean, and free of invasive species. 

One such student, Heejoo An, a junior at South, is an active participant in Weed Wrangle, a nationwide effort to rid areas such as cities and towns of invasive species. She got involved through a field trip she took with Kirstin Milks, the AP Bio teacher at South. 

“I like being outside, and working with people that aren’t specifically in our age range, but they all care about the environment, and they are all here to try to make our local species have a palace to thrive,” said An. 

Weed Wrangle is run by volunteers, and there is no monetary compensation for anyone involved in these events. That is why community support and involvement is so important. Another plus of this organization is how easy it is to get involved. 

“You search ‘Bloomington Recreation Weed Wrangle’, the volunteer page, and you make an account and find the location that works for you,” Said An. 

This is an easy way for students to be involved in change that has a lasting impact. Invasive species reduce biodiversity, and without biodiversity, ecosystems begin to deteriorate. It is amazing the work that can be done in only two hours. Entire fields can be cleared of invasive plants, and trash can removed from streams, ditches and roads.  

“It’s really inspiring, it’s really fun to cut down all the invasive species and then over time you see a clearing of all the plants.” Said An. 

Not only is it a fun process- it is also a necessary one. As conditions become easier for the Honeysuckle trees to grow (a prominent invasive species in Bloomington), there will be fewer native plants, and ultimately less biodiversity.

“[Weed Wrangle] is a really good opportunity for students to engage in the environment, and go outside. There are not a lot of accessible and easy opportunities to engage with people that  have a similar vision for how they want to contribute to the world, but there is a lot to learn from [Weed Wrangle],” Said An.