Subs and the Humdrum

What do you do when your substitute teacher, unencumbered by earbuds, is listening to CNN on his phone while perusing Amazon on the computer for the finest Shimano fishing rods? Do you do the unit 1.4 homework that your teacher told him to assign? No, you don’t, because you’re watching a man (now affectionately referred to as Shimano guy) with A.D.D. who just might be planning a trip to Colorado River to go trout-fishing with the Tallus Blue Water Series TC4 that he’s going to buy with his mom’s credit card.

Or you’re just bored and seeking anything to pass the time. Like I am. At this very moment.  Here is a list that will hopefully get you to your next class:

1. Try to list all of the state capitals and/or presidents
  2. Think of a complex plot for a movie or novel that you could write. Take different events that seem to be unrelated and intertwine them. Then, make a twist to the story. You never know when inspiration will strike. Wouldn’t it be funny if you win a Pulitzer Prize for an idea you had when you were bored in calculus? Thanks, Shimano guy!
  3. Calculate the exact number of days you have been alive.
  4. Meditate. Meditation can decrease stress and sharpen your mind. Of course, you won’t need that sharp mind in Shimano guy’s class, but maybe next period.
  5. Yawn and observe if it creates a chain reaction.
  6. The classic paper football game.
  7. Make a blueprint for a utopian society in which you have dominion. Then, make a constitution.
  8. Go up to the sub and strike up a simple conversation. Then, ask them something extremely personal. Depending on the sub’s personality, this could go a few different ways, but will be funny looking back on it. (“Hey, Shimano guy! When was your last colonoscopy?”)
  9. Invent a new sport.
  10. Make a list of ways to pass the time in a boring class, like I just did. Educate the masses.