South grad Bannec enjoys the journey to College Cup Final

+John+Bannec+gets+ready+to+clear+the+ball+in+a+game+on+September+10th%2C+2015.+Bannec%2C+now+a+South+grad%2C+is+redshirting+his+freshman+year+on+the+mens+soccer+team.+He++watched+from+the+bench+as+the+IU+mens+soccer+team+team+lost+to+Stanford+1-0+in+the+College+cup+Finals+this+past+Sunday.
Mallorey Daunhauer
John Bannec gets ready to clear the ball in a game on September 10th, 2015. Bannec, now a South grad, is redshirting his freshman year on the men’s soccer team. He watched from the bench as the IU men’s soccer team team lost to Stanford 1-0 in the College cup Finals this past Sunday.

IU freshman and 2017 South graduate John Bannec took part in the highest level of NCAA soccer competition last Sunday: the College Cup Finals. Although Bannec was under the lights in the Talen Energy Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he was relegated to cheering on his teammates on from the bench.

Bannec redshirted (staying out of college competition for a year to extend one’s period of playing eligibility) during his freshman year to train with the team and to gain valuable experience that he can hopefully use in the coming years. The Indiana University Men’s soccer team lost (0-1) to the Stanford Cardinals, two time defending champions, in double overtime.  

“No matter how far we made it, just being a part of this team gave me the chance to experience the winning attitude that comes in practice, day in and day out,” Bannec said.

Bannec spent countless hours training and playing in practice to help make the starters better, but he also saw the improvement in himself. “I can already see rapid improvements in my skills as as an all-around player, and that makes me excited for the future,” he said.

Although Bannec was initially disappointed after the loss, he now recognizes how successful the team was in advancing so far in the College Cup and what an amazing opportunity he had

Bannec is now looking towards the future with motivation after seeing Stanford hoist the trophy: “The journey has been one heck of a ride for everyone on the team, and I would never trade it for a different one.”