“Avengers: Infinity War” garners praise from South students

This Thursday marked the opening of the Marvel’s newest blockbuster hit hopeful, “Avengers: Infinity War.” This highly anticipated third installment in the Avengers series has been marketed as the greatest superhero crossover film of all time. “Avengers: Infinity War” is preceded by over 18 other superhero films and features a star studded cast, including Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Benedict Cumberbatch and Scarlett Johansson.

The plot follows villain Thanos, a power hungry titan who is obsessed with finding six infinity stones that will ultimately give him the power to wipe out half the population and create a new world. Throughout the movie, Thanos is thwarted by the Avengers‒a team of crime fighting superheroes‒and new allies like Dr. Strange and The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Junior Patrick Walsh has seen the movie twice and spoke highly of the film.

“The payoff of the previous 18 films was well worth the wait, It’s easily the best film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” Walsh said.

“I liked it because it mixes all of the previous movies together, but I thought that Star Lord, played by Chris Pratt, really ruined everything for the rest of the characters,” sophomore Colin Doyle said.

“Avengers: Infinity War” is unlike any other movies previously made the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Without any major spoilers, the film takes a turn in the final minutes that left viewers on the edge of their seats.

“The unexpected events that occured in the final minutes were very heart wrenching and left me with a lot of questions,” junior Tommy McEvilly said.

Reporter’s review:

As a more casual fan of Marvel films, I was totally and completely stunned by Infinity War. The CGI and camera work is particularly impressive, and the storyline is generally easy to follow even if you haven’t seen all of the previous films. Even if you aren’t a big superhero film fan, I would highly encourage taking a chance on “Avengers: Infinity War.”

8/10