Women’s History Month: A Bad Excuse for Barely Celebrating Women’s Excellence

Women’s History Month has been celebrated around our country for almost 36 years. Women’s History Month was officially passed by Congress in 1987, after being petitioned by The National Women’s History Project. The hopes of this month were to shine light on women’s history and how crucial women have been throughout our country’s past. Yet, women’s excellence is only celebrated for 31 days out of the year. It’s almost as if people think designating this month just to women’s history is doing enough. Women deserve to show the world what they have done and are capable of, not just for a short period of time. Women’s history and excellence should be celebrated year-round.

For thousands of years, the male gender has been known as the “superior sex” while women are only on this planet to serve as “housewives” or as add-ins to support men. Still, women persevered, slowly challenging social norms and showing people that they are every bit as deserving as their male counterparts. However, many don’t know how much influence on society women have had and how we wouldn’t be where we are today without them.

So many women have changed our world. Nevertheless, history books barely even mention said women. Do you know about Ada Lovelace, the first computer programmer who led the way for developments in the field of computing?  What about Bessie Coleman, the first licensed African-American woman pilot? Or Virginia Woolf, author of “A Room of One’s Own”, that showed how powerful an independent woman can be?  Hopefully you know about Marie Curie, the scientist who discovered two new elements, radium and polonium, in addition to winning the Nobel Peace Prize TWICE.

These are just a few examples of women who have paved the way for drastic developments in all of their respective fields. Nevertheless some of those women, including their accomplishments, are forgotten. Left to the past. Until March, where they are still barely even acknowledged.

That is the problem. Women’s History Month is meant to shine light on the women who have paved the way, with hopes of inspiring future generations. With the way we are going, young girls will not have the opportunity to learn from these influential women. So many powerful women are forgotten when their legacy should be honored.

WiFi? GPS? Bluetooth? Dishwashers? YOU? All of these things would not be possible without the perseverance of women. Time to start appreciating the presence of women, not just for the month of March.